System development work is difficult, and many IT systems do not work satisfactorily despite intensive technology development. My research is about improving the situation and understanding what the problems are. I am working on developing improved working methods in the organizations and projects that develop and introduce IT. The focus here is user-centered methods, gender, sociotechnical perspective and agile development. I have also researched the skills that the people in the projects need to master to be able to work with the development of complex systems that support people in a good way.
If you are curious about my research – listen to the 12 min long lecture in Swedish
Our work environment is more and more digitalized. Many of us use a large number of IT systems in our work every day. Dysfunctional computer system becomes a work environment problem.
Professor Bengt Sandblad from the HTO group has done a report for the work environment authority in Sweden, He is also working on a book and he is also working on a book on the digital work environment. The book will appear around Christmas.
This week Bengt Sandblad is interviewed in Universen and some of the key ideas in the article are:
- The potential benefits of IT systems is often lost due to usability problems.
- The digital development will not to slow down. On the contrary: it will move faster and faster.
- Often IT systems are not adapted to the needs of people, or the organization.
- Information overload is a crucial problem.
- We need to design systems that are made for human cognition.
- We have a tendency to build systems based on what computers are good at. Not what people are good at.
- There is a risk that work is what is left when the computers have done what they aren’t good at doing.
For more information read the full article 🙂